Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Made a New Friend

In the States I had many friends. Here in Taichung I have but a few but I am learning to really cherish these friendships.  Last Friday I met a mom (Apple)at the playground of Moses' school who has a daughter Seraphine's age. After quite a lengthy chat, she invited me out for a playdate.

Today we met up again and we went to the Science Museum together. She drove me to the museum and home again, paid for my entrance ticket, and even invited me out biking with her family sometime. Apparently there is a scenic bike route where you can rent electric bikes with baby baskets. Our daughter are quite similar in personality and even share the word "an" in the second half of their Chinese names. Anyway, as any foreigner can tell you, it gets lonely sometimes and we so much appreciate it when someone takes time to befriend you.

Apple reminds me so much of my friend, Pearl, who also treats me with such hospitality. Coming to Taiwan, I've really been able to slow down. Life is simpler. I have time to make new friends and hang out with them. I don't drive very often so I'm not rushing here and there all the time. I am not in a million small groups with countless meetings to attend and don't attend birthday parties every weekend. I don't have to shop or cook meals and plan for meals. I exercise regularly twice a week. I don't have to clean my big house or worry about how to decorate it and needing to decorate it.  Life is simpler. And for now, I like it this way.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you made some friends and enjoyed a simpler life there.

    ReplyDelete