Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Trip Back "Home"

I just got back from a business trip back to the States yesterday. About four weeks ago, I received an email from another business team we work with that there would be a "face to face" (very unusual at our company these days ... most meetings are done over the phone) meeting in Boise the second week of February and that my presence was requested.  I was quite excited about this both from a work point of view (a rare opportunity to connect with and meet some people I've worked with for years) but also from a personal standpoint as well.  I was a bit apprehensive though as Moses' would still be on winter break and Tina would essentially be flying solo while I'm out there.  Talking it through, she thought it would be OK and this would be an opportunity for us to drop off some stuff back home to lighten our load for the move back.  It would also give us a chance to 'resupply' with home and food stuff as well.


The preparation leading up to the trip went quickly as I also had four days off for Chinese New Year. "Uncle Optimus" (my cousin Andrew) came for a visit which was quite nice as it distracted Moses on his 2nd week of break!  Bags packed I had originally planned to take the high speed rail up to Taoyuan but didn't take into consideration that CNY meant all the trains  were booked!  Luckily I had enough time to catch a 2pm bus to the airport. It was a 3 1/2 hour journey (normally 2 hours) but I made it in plenty of time to check in for my flight, grab dinner, and call home before boarding EVA Airways flight 17 to SFO. 


It's been a few years since I last flew EVA and they had definitely upgraded the seating and AVOD systems. I was quite excited as the flight would be on one of their relatively new Boeing 777-300 birds instead of an older 747.  The economy class seat was comfortable (at first) and relatively wide with good (33") seat pitch.  It felt better than a similar class seat on Singapore Airlines.  The AVOD system also a new brighter touch screen system which also beats out SQ.  However, four hours into the 11 hours flight my bootie was going sore and I was shifting cheeks just to keep from going numb.  The food was also sub-par; I opted to eat the fruit my Mom packed for me instead.  While the staff were helpful and nice, there is just something about SQ that puts it's service level from the "helpful and nice" category to "world class".  (Common courtesy and Hagen Daz ice cream do help.)


Landing in SFO I was surprised to clear immigration and customs in less than 30 min.  Having a five hour layover, I had scheduled time to hang out with some friends from the Bay Area so I went outside and I got my first whiff of clean air in five months.  My friend Eugene and family picked me up and we went to have a snack near SFO.  It was weird being back in the States and to be in somewhere I used to call home.  After a much too short reunion, I was back at SFO and off to Boise Idaho.


From a work perspective, the business trip was great.  I was able to meet a bunch of people and provide input for projects slated for next fiscal year.  However, work trips are usually pretty tiring especially if they go on all day and social time is 'required' at night.  After four days of solid meetings, it was finally off to "home" with a Delta flight down to Orange County via Salt Lake.  (Yet another place I used to call "home".)  My sister met me at John Wayne (I love this aiport as It's extremely easy to fly in/out of) and we she took me to her new place in Irvine.  Her house was pretty much unchanged from five months ago. I was also able to crash on my old futon which was being lent to her.


The next few days were a blur of activity from my 'to do' list: visit Moses future elementary school, check on Kindergarten readiness programs, have lunch with my men's group, get rear ended on the way home (ok, that was not on the list), shop at Trader Joe's, have meeting w/ other men's group, go to Costco, stop by the Garner's (my) house to drop stuff off, have lunch w/ cousin, eat oysters, go to church, visit UC Irvine to take pictures of my sister's wedding place, have dinner w/ Tina's family, get an In N Burger, etc.


Before long, I was at LAX boarding my EVA flight back to Taiwan.  It was a whirlwind trip which I'm sure I'll be paying for in the days ahead.  My main concern now is how to help Tina ... She definitely needs rest after the last 10 days.


- Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment