Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Adjustments

After the first week week thought things were going really well. Then some difficult adjustments started setting in and we are starting to realize that we have only been here two weeks after all.

First, Moses is exhibiting subconcious stress about school. He has started wetting his pullups and had a couple of accidents already. He wants me to hold him all the time when he is home and complains of not enough time with me. He speaks in a whisper and does not answer questions much of the time. His English is mumbled and he is completely lethargic.

We are all lethargic. First Steve is totally "malfunctioning" (his mom's words). This is usually what happens when he goes home, so I'm not sure if this is "normal." He has stopped helping with setting the table, helping with the kids without being asked, moving unless completely necessary. I am really tired all the time, I am not sure why.  I think it is city stress.   I go outside and have to make sure Seraphine doesn't get knocked down by a car or motorcyle and don't really know where I am most of the time. I try to do some housework, but am so hot after a few minutes. I just give up. The kids and I are sick, that may account for the lethargy, too.

Seraphine found one of Auntie Jasmin's old Barbies.
Seraphine seems to be doing fine, however. She is roaming around the house scattering her toys all over. We forget to pick them up at the end of the day. Need to organize a play space of some kind.

I can't quite figure out where I am most of the time. I used to get lost in Irvine and needed my GPS to drive around. Now I haven't started driving here yet (the car is broken) and there is no bus access.  It seems too hot to walk. So unless I call a taxi I am pretty much confined to a small radius of shops and things around our house...an old movie theatre, a handful of convenience stores (thank God for these) and a bunch of tea shops and food carts with questionable sanitation (we've been okay so far, though).

I am trying to get used to not being in charge of the household. I haven't had to cook and that has been wonderful. I am very thankful for this. On the other hand, I am not in charge of food gathering, so I am not sure what we are eating all the time and I have yet figured out where to get food. I need to go with the flow and that has not been easy.

Really feeling the need for some fellowship and to make some friends to hang out with. Especially since I am with Seraphine all day.

This all being said, I realize that we have only been here two weeks and this moving in transition is simply going to take a while.

More later.

--Tina

3 comments:

  1. Tina, thank you for sharing this. It was hard for me to read about Moses, just thinking about the adjustments that Dorian and Maia will need to go through. Daphne and I will be praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that does sound rough. Our hearts and prayers go out to you guys. "I can do all things through Christ, which strengthens me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound rough! I'll pray for your adjustment. We really miss you guys! We'll be in Taiwan from 12/28 to 1/8. Hope we can visit you guys!

    ReplyDelete